Mexico Plans to Reduce Greenhouse Gases 25% by 2030

The Mexican government has committed itself to reducing greenhouse gases 25 percent by the year 2030, a proportion that could be raised to 40 percent with international aid.
Environment and Natural Resources Secretary Juan Jose Guerra and Foreign Affairs Secretary Jose Antonio Meade presented the nation’s commitments to dealing with climate change during the period between 2020-2030.
At the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, it was established that in December 2015 a new universal judicial instrument will be adopted to reduce greenhouse gases.
“Mexico is the first developing country to make a tentative contribution” in this area, Meade said in his presentation.
After the announcement, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, and his American counterpart, Barack Obama, reaffirmed their commitment to dealing with global climate change, which they considered one of the greatest threats facing mankind.
In a joint communiqué, the leaders noted the importance of reflecting the subject in their national economies and of taking intelligent steps against climate change and in favour of using clean energy.
To do so, the two nations will launch a high-level working group on clean energy and environmental policy to improve coordination in this field, they said.
In applying this commitment, Mexico will reach its highest quantity of emissions in 2026 and will then progressively lower them by 40 percent.
In 2013, Mexico emitted the equivalent of 781 million tons of carbon dioxide, and by 2030, continuing with business as usual, it would reach 1.11 billion.
However, the government expects to reduce emissions so they remain at 829 million tons thanks to measures like the General Climate Change Law, a new forestry project and the energy reform that took effect in 2014.
Guerra emphasized the benefits of this constitutional reform to reduce polluting emissions, since it plans to boost the role of renewable energy in Mexico.
Black carbon emissions from the combustion of petroleum derivatives will be cut 51 percent compared to the initial forecasts for 2030, while the emission of greenhouse gases will drop by 22 percent.
Mexico currently represents 1.37 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions, which puts it in 13th place worldwide.
However, it’s one of the countries “most affected by climate change,” Guerra said, referring to the devastation repeatedly caused by natural phenomena in Mexico.
Of total emissions, 92 percent come from burning hydrocarbons and the remaining 8 percent from changes in soil usage as a result of, for example, deforestation. Some 45 percent of such emissions go into the atmosphere, 27 percent into the sea and 27 percent are trapped and taken out of the atmosphere by forests.
In that regard, Guerra said the government’s proposal is to cut the deforestation rate to zero percent by 2030, and to diminish by 50 percent the number of vulnerable municipalities.
Latin America Herald Tribune

One comment

  1. I am surprised since global warming is now considered a hoax because the true measured values show a decline in global temperatures over the past several decades, and with the solar cycle in the minimum, the sun will be imparting less heat to the Earth over the next some 30 years.
    Global warming is actually a political way for the United Nations to redistribute the wealth among Nations, and peoples. It is being done with the aid of computers , where garbage in is garbage out … relative to actual temperature recording and future temperature predictions. With the Earth actually in a cooling stage, the cost of winter heating will be much more expensive due to the increasing population, and the reduction in available resources.
    Notice that the countries such as India and China who are increasing their countries wealth rapidly, are some of the worst polluters with the greater populations. For them to say that they will reduce pollution by ,say 2050 or so, means nothing now. It takes low cost fuel to compete in the world marketplace. Atmospheric CO2 is not the most pressing problem but the least, it is the world’s debt of nations and people (the number of the poor are increasing) , and the availability of drinking water where the world supply is already some 40 percent short.. The planet will always be here, but the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere will not if the carbon cycle is interrupted by countries removing the CO2 in the atmosphere. Trees need the CO2 for food, and people need the oxygen that are given off by the trees. The potash from the burning wood needs to be returned to the soil, like has been done in the past to maintain the fertility of the soil.

Comments are closed.