A local weekly guide to places, people and things
1. Bucerias. Hop the bus to Bucerias, pack your beach gear and spend the day working on your tan on the beautiful 8km long, nearly pristine beach.
2. Stroll along the Pitillal River. From Francisco Medina all the way to the beach there is an excellent path, perfect for jogging, bike riding, dog walking and nature watching.
3. Go shopping! Venture into downtown Pitillal where there are hundreds of small shops selling clothing, shoes, accessories plus excellent restaurants and things you didn’t know you had to have.
4. Road Trip! If you have a car, consider hitting the road for a couple days. Whether you head north towards San Blas, east to Guadalajara, or south to Cabo Corrientes, around every corner is an adventure. Take the free road and you might find a pyramid, the perfect roasted chicken or a sweet B&B to call home for the night.
5. Sunday Night Malecon. Start at the beginning and take your time. Appreciate the sunset, the world-class sculptures, stop for a cervesa, listen to the live music in the plaza and just maybe try out your Danzon moves. Head all the way to the new pier for some great nightime photo ops and a delicious dinner at any number of the beachfront restaurants.
6. Cool off in the river. Personal fave is Rio Cuale back in the Buenas Aries neighbourhood, but head south towards Mismaloya and jump in at Puente Negro for fresh, clean water. Great for butterfly hunters too.
7. Micheladas. If you haven’t, you must. It’s basically a Ceasar made with beer instead of vodka. It’s the perfect afternoon ‘snack’ as it is often served with fresh cut veggies, boiled shrimps or Aguachile. Strangely enough my go-to spot is a carwash/michelada stand that blasts Banda by Bobadilla Stadium in Pitillal.
Originally from Vancouver, Canada I am into my third year (full-time yeah!) in Mexico. I have had the pleasure of living in Bucerias, Ajijic and finally settling in Puerto Vallarta. As editor of the Vallarta Tribune and Mexi-Go! Magazine, I travel constantly around this beautiful country for pleasure and work.
Would you like to share your favourite things to do in Banderas Bay? Each week we feature a local resident who shares their insider tips with us. Send your 7 Things to